Sunday, October 18, 2020

Do I Want A Boyfriend Or Am I Just Cold?

 
 
[ view in browser.     add elle@newsletter.elle.com to your address book ]  
 
 
Elle
 
BREAKING NEWS
 
 
 
 
FOLLOW US
 
 
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram You Tube
 
 
Do I Want A Boyfriend Or Am I Just Cold?
 
I've long resisted cuffing season—the unofficial period of coupling that begins with the first post-Labor Day chill and wraps up in the thaw of early spring. Urban Dictionary describes this ritual as when "cold weather and prolonged indoor activity causes singles to become lonely and desperate to be cuffed." My therapist would refer to this as a coping mechanism. This year, amid constant chaos and government-mandated distance, I've have struggled to discern: Do I want a boyfriend or am I just cold?

It was a query I first posed last winter, while on a brisk walk with my roommate, each of us stuffing our hands into pockets and shielding our faces in scarves. While we immediately burst out laughing, it became clear that this wasn't an isolated thought. That theory was confirmed whenever I pitched this story to a number of my friends and co-workers: Everyone inevitably felt attacked, as if I was calling out their particular methods of coping in the cold.

The inability to decipher whether we're seeking a partner or a pashmina has only gotten stronger over a year of social distancing, existential doom, and too many nights rewatching When Harry Met Sally.

READ ON
 

READ MORE
 
ELLE
 
Kris Jenner's Boyfriend, Corey Gamble, Called Kendall 'a Rude Person for Years'
 
Theirs is some of the latest drama on KUWTK. Read On
 
 
 
ELLE
 
Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik 'Can't Get Enough of Their Little Girl'
 
They've been spending a lot of quality time with their new baby. Read On
 
 
 
 
 
 
ELLE
 
Katie Holmes Is 'So Authentically Herself' With Her New Boyfriend, Emilio Vitolo
 
The two have been seen out and about in New York City this fall. Read On
 
 
 
ELLE
 
How Zac Efron Celebrated His 33rd Birthday in Byron Bay
 
The 'High School Musical' star is 33 today. Who else feels old? Read On
 
 
 
ELLE
 
Ariana Grande Cheekily Teased Her New Album, 'Positions'. Here's What We Know So Far.
 
She also revealed the date of release. Read On
 
 
 
 
 
 
ELLE.com
©2020 Hearst Communications Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Hearst Email Privacy, 300 W 57th St., Fl. 19 (sta 1-1), New York, NY 10019
 
Unsubscribe     Privacy Notice
 
 

No comments: