Sunday, April 5, 2020

I Refuse to Punish Myself for Cheating

 
 
I would never diminish the toll infidelity can take, but I won't diminish myself for having been unfaithful.
[ view in browser.     add elle@newsletter.elle.com to your address book ]  
 
 
Elle
 
BREAKING NEWS
 
 
 
 
FOLLOW US
 
 
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram You Tube
 
 
I Refuse to Punish Myself for Cheating
 
In the rearview mirror, my affair, a one-week cataclysm that cracked open the winter of 2010, seems ludicrous and resistant to comprehension: It's banal in its particulars, yet it was for me both shatteringly ecstatic and distressing. When I kissed Paul, it was the end of my first, frenzied semester as a doctoral student. I had only been married to my husband, Nick, since August. My panicked heart burned and sputtered.

I fell in love with Paul slowly, but easily. We met in a graduate seminar on nineteenth-century literature: I admired his artful, quick-witted mind and his velvety warm blue eyes. After collaborating on a class presentation, I was enthralled, but in a way that seemed chaste, even sisterly. I had never found it difficult to maintain platonic male friendships while romantically committed, so I assumed the band on my finger wouldn't bar friendship now.

But once I acknowledge my attraction to a person, I am almost irrevocably distracted, my awareness totally reoriented by piqued desire and curiosity. Such was the case when, one fall evening, Paul and I grabbed a beer at a restaurant near campus. I had reassured myself that this outing was innocent—why not make friends with my new classmates? But as the night drew on and the beer eased my edges, Paul's own form, though shadowed by the dim light, seemed to solidify before me, peripheries defined, precious matter within a nothing of space. I could hold him, and I wanted to.

READ ON
 

READ MORE
 
ELLE
 
Here's How Kendall Jenner and Harry Styles Spent Time Together—At a Distance
 
That's pretty clever. Read On
 
 
 
ELLE
 
Here Are Queen Elizabeth's Comments in a Speech About Coronavirus
 
It's rare for her to make a speech outside of her annual Christmas address. Read On
 
 
 
 
 
 
ELLE
 
Here Was Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom's Reaction to the News of Their Baby Girl
 
They are looking forward to the happy arrival. Read On
 
 
 
ELLE
 
17 Documentaries to Watch on Netflix After 'Tiger King'
 
There are so many options right now. Read On
 
 
 
ELLE
 
Channing Tatum and Jessie J Have Broken Up Again
 
"It's totally amicable." Read On
 
 
 
 
 
 
ELLE.com
©2020 Hearst Communications Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Hearst Email Privacy, 300 W 57th St., Fl. 19 (sta 1-1), New York, NY 10019
 
Unsubscribe     Privacy Notice
 
 

No comments: