Sunday, May 10, 2020

Pregnant on the Front Lines

 
 
CNN's Clarissa Ward covered war, famine, and genocide in far-flung locales. Preparing for a new baby: terrifying.
[ view in browser.     add elle@newsletter.elle.com to your address book ]  
 
 
Elle
 
BREAKING NEWS
 
 
 
 
FOLLOW US
 
 
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram You Tube
 
 
Pregnant on the Front Lines
 
I had always viewed becoming a mother as perhaps the least extraordinary thing a woman could do. This was not to say that I didn't want to have children—I did very much—but I was wary of the consequences, of becoming obsessive about diet and back problems, the endless conversations about strollers, teething, the right kindergarten. It all just seemed so dull.

So when I learned I was pregnant, two years after accepting an international correspondent job with CNN's London bureau in 2015, I was determined to be different, to take pregnancy and childbirth in stride. I didn't broadcast the news to my colleagues right away. It was too early to be confident the pregnancy would advance, but I was also a little apprehensive about how it might change everyone's perceptions of me. My secret did, however, make an assignment in Greenland for a documentary on climate change a little tricky.

READ ON
 

READ MORE
 
ELLE
 
Twiter Is Not Enjoying Khloé Kardashian's Toilet Paper War With Kourtney Kardashian
 
Toilet paper is in short supply, and yet...this happens. Read On
 
 
 
ELLE
 
Lori Loughlin Is 'Nervous' After a Federal Judge Refused to Dismiss Her Charges in the College Admissions Case
 
The actress is reportedly convinced she did nothing wrong. Read On
 
 
 
 
 
 
ELLE
 
Here's How Celebrities Are Sending Love to Moms on Mother's Day 2020
 
There are some good throwback pics here, too. Read On
 
 
 
ELLE
 
Harry and Madison from 'Too Hot to Handle' Had a Secret Romance Before He Got Back Together With Francesca
 
Harry and Francesca are engaged now. Read On
 
 
 
ELLE
 
Andrew and Chris Cuomo's Mom Matilda on Life's Golden Rule
 
The 90-year-old matriarch spoke with ELLE.com for Mother's Day. Read On
 
 
 
 
 
 
ELLE.com
©2020 Hearst Communications Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Hearst Email Privacy, 300 W 57th St., Fl. 19 (sta 1-1), New York, NY 10019
 
Unsubscribe     Privacy Notice
 
 

No comments: